Information For Event Organisers

  • Home
  • Information For Event Organisers

Melchester- The Ideal Location for Events and Promotional Activities

From small scale community events to large one-off national and international events, Melchester really is the ideal city for your next event. The city boasts more than 50 parks and green spaces and some of these are located right in the heart of the city centre.

The Process

It is very easy to apply to stage your event or promotion in Melchester.

First of all, it is useful to send Melchester City Council’s Event Management Team an email and briefly describe what it is you would like to do, where you would like to do it and when. We will then do a quick check to make sure that your proposed event or promotion does not clash with something else that is happening in the city at the same time and that the area you would like to hold your event is available and suitable.

Event and Promotions Application Form

If the area you would like to use is available and suitable to stage your event or promotion, you will be asked to complete and return an Event and Promotions Application form.

Complete the form and email it back to Event Management on as an attachment.

The form is designed for all types of events and promotions, so please complete as much information as possible that is relevant to your event, you can always attach supporting information. This form is easy to complete, although if you have any questions or are unsure about anything, contact the Event Management Team for assistance. It is advisable to keep a copy of your completed application form together with the terms and conditions for your own records. As well as completing the application form, you also need to send your specific event risk assessment, public liability insurance details that cover the event, site plan and event plan.

You can download an Event Plan template.

This example will assist you in the whole planning process of your successful event.
You can also download a Guidance to Emergency Planning and Incident Reporting.

What happens next?

After your completed application has been received, it will be distributed to the Melchester’s Events Safety Advisory Group. This group consists of representatives from the Police, Fire and Ambulance services as well as other relevant Council departments such as Licensing and Highways. Other agencies are also consulted as necessary depending on the nature of the event. If your application successfully passes through the Events Safety Advisory Group, you will be sent an Event Permit which you should keep with you for the duration of your event.

How much notice do you need?

Ideally, contact Event Management about your event as soon as possible as the more notice they have, the more chance there is of being able to overcome any potential problems which may arise. As a general rule, at minimum 8 weeks’ notice is required.

Please note if you require to apply for a temporary road closure, Balfour Beatty also requires a minimum of 8 weeks’ notice. See below for more information.

How much does it cost?

The cost of holding an event or promotion in Melchester varies depending on the location, the duration and nature of the event. Costs can be discussed with you on your initial application.

Costs for a promotional site in the city centre or Guildhall Square vary, depending on the location, size and duration. Please email for more information.

Charity / Fundraising Events

If you are organising a charitable collection as part of your event, you will need to apply for a Street Collection permit from the council's Licensing Team. Find out more about a Street Collection permit.

Do you need a Temporary Events Notice or Premises Licence?

Event Management can advise if you will require a Temporary Events Notice (TENs) or a Premises Licence for your event.

A TENs - depends on the licensable activities (sale or supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment* and late night refreshment) at a small event (no more than 499 people at any one time) for a short period of time. Find out more about TENs

A Premises Licence under the Licensing Act 2003 is required for any premises where any of the following take place: Sale of alcohol by retail / regulated entertainment* / the provision of hot food or hot drink between 23:00 and 05:00 on any day.

*Regulated entertainment is defined as:

- A performance of a play

- An exhibition of a film

- An indoor sporting event

- A boxing or wrestling entertainment

- A performance of live music

- Any playing of recorded music

- A performance of dance

- Anything similar to music or dancing

Find out more about a Premises Licence

Are you playing live or recorded music at your event?

Whether you’re staging music events or playing background music you’ll may need TheMusicLicence. By obtaining TheMusicLicence you’ll be able to play PRS for Music and PPL music legally and enjoy its benefits whilst ensuring that its creators are fairly rewarded for their work.

Find out more about TheMusicLicence

Do you need to apply for a Temporary Road Closure?

A Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) is used to temporarily restrict the movement of traffic or impose waiting restrictions on the public highway. In order to allow sufficient time for the legal process to be completed, Balfour Beatty require 8 weeks advanced notice to arrange a TTRO.

Contact Balfour Beatty via email or telephone 023 8079 8030

Find out more about applying for a TTRO

Do you need a Child Performance Licence?

If any children under the age of 16 are performing at your event, it is your responsibility as the Event Organiser to apply for the appropriate Child Performance Licence.
Find out more about Child Performance Licence

Bouncy castles: safety advice

These simple precautions can help you avoid serious accidents, whether you supply bouncy castles and inflatables, or you are hiring one for your event.

Find out more from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website

Events and Festivals Grants

Melchester City Council offers grants to support event organisers to hold events and festivals across the city of Melchester. Grants of between £250 and £10,000 are available to support up to 75% of the costs of events and festivals that are accessible to the general public.
Who can apply?

- Non-for-profit organisations, including community groups, social enterprises, faith organisations, schools, PTAs and 'Friends of' groups

- For-profit businesses or sole traders (applications will be considered on a case by case basis)

- Priority will be given to residents and organisations/businesses based in the City of Melchester

Find out more about grants to support event organisers to hold events and festivals across the city of Melchester

Promotional Activities
There are several key locations that are used for promotional activities or sampling. Please contact for more information and availability.

Private events

Unfortunately due to the holding powers which govern the use of the city's parks Melchester City Council are unable to give permission for private events or private parties.

Please view this web link re parks information and do's and don'ts regarding BBQs

If you require further information on holding an event or promotion in Melchester, please email

Events Support

Commercial services from Melchester City Council have reliable, professional services for event organisers in and around Melchester. They have extensive experience of delivering high quality services to residents in the city and can draw on that experience to deliver first-class services for your event including

Waste and recycling: incorporating provision of waste containers and waste disposal.

Cleansing: litter picking services and cleansing services during and after your event, jet washing and mechanical sweeping.

Digital advertising: Website and E-alerts

Outdoor advertising: Lamp posts, lift doors

See their leaflet below for more information or visit

Health and Safety Executive (HSE) - Guidance on running events safely

The HSE website will help organisers run events safely.

Others may also find the website useful, eg contractors, health and safety advisers and workers at events.

Good planning and organisation is essential to putting on an event that is both safe and enjoyable. For many events all that is required is to follow a basic series of steps.

HSE Guidance on running events safely

Venue and site design

Temporary demountable structures

Managing crowds safely

Using barriers at events


Falls from height

Electrical safety

Fire safety

Special effects


Amusements and attractions

Employee welfare

Handling waste

Crowded Places Guidance

NaCTSO (National Counter Terrorism Security Office)
is responsible for providing advice and guidance to government and industry to; protect crowded places throughout the UK from the terrorist threat, protect hazardous sites and prevent dangerous substances from being used for terrorist purposes, protect critical national infrastructure from terrorists.

The UK faces a real threat from terrorism and crowded places remain an attractive target.

Crowded places include shopping centres, sports stadia, bars, pubs and clubs and event sites which are easily accessible to the public and attractive to terrorists.

A guidance has been written to help those charged with security at crowded places mitigate the threat and help make the UK less vulnerable to an attack. Click on the Major Events section


Advanced Search